New health screening guidelines for the upcoming 2018-2019
The New York State Education Department (NYSED) has changed
many of the health screening requirements to be
provided in public schools. (Changes are noted in red.) Please note the following is a listing of these requirements:
- Health examinations (a physical) will now be required for new entrants, Pre-K or Kindergarten, and thereafter in 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th
, 9th and 11th grades. This exam may be performed by your child’ primary health care provider or here at school at the School Based Health Center (SBHC). As in the past, a “health history” will be sent to parent/guardians when the physical is due.
A copy of the exam must be on file in the student’s medical chart in the Health Office. As in the past, any student participating in a school sport is required to have a physical each year.
- A dental certificate will also be sent with the health history for new entrants, Pre-K or Kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 11th grades. A dental exam is recommended, but not required by NYSED.
- Hearing screenings will be done by the school
nurse in the Health Office. These will be done for all new entrants, Pre-K or Kindergarteners,
1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 11th graders.
- Vision screenings, to include near vision and distance acuity will be done for new entrants, Pre-K or Kindergarteners, 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, 9th and 11th graders. Color perception will be done on all new entering students.
- Scoliosis screenings will be done for all female
students in grades 5 and 7, and for all male students in grade 9.
All screening results will be documented in the students’ medical chart. If it is determined that your child is in need of a professional examination for any of the above, a written referral will be sent to you. Hearing and vision screenings may be done at any time deemed necessary.
Please call the Health Office with any questions/concerns.
Peg Jessup, RN, Elementary School Nurse, 674.7389
Andrea Gunther, RN, MS/HS Nurse, 674.7314